RANDO RAID: US SKI MOUNTAINEERING NATIONALS SPRINT RACE
February 3, 2018 4:30 PM - 6:30 PM
US Ski Mountaineering Nationals Individual Sprint Race
- Open to all racers
- Saturday, February 3, 2018
- Registration to open soon
- Check in will open at 3.00pm at the Phoenix Lodge (on the backside of the mountain, at the base of Lift #4)
- Racers meeting will be held at 4.50pm at the start line
- Race will begin at 5.00pm at the base of Lift #4
- Awards will follow event in the Phoenix
- You may drive to the Phoenix, please note 4WD is required
VOLUNTEERS ARE NEEDED! If interested please contact Kaela at email@example.com.
Join us for the 5th Annual Rio Hondo Rando Raid on the COSMIC Race Series at Taos Ski Valley, New Mexico. This year the Rio Hondo Rando Raid will be home to the US Ski Mountaineering Nationals Sprint Race (February 3rd) and Team Race (February 4th).
We are extremely excited for the sprint this year. Starting at 5:00PM each racer will race the sprint course in a time trial format. The racers will race alone and depart every 30-45 seconds. Depending on the total number of racers, 6-16 racers will advance to a semi final race (or just a final race if the group is small). The semi-finals will be raced ski-cross style with 6-8 racers racing at the same time. The top 3 racers from the semi finals will advance to the finals.
Registration to open soon.
The sprint course will have a a skinning section with several switchbacks, a booter, then another skinning section. The descent will be GS gates with a skate to the finish line. All racers will be required to carry packs, shovel, probes, beacons, and a jacket. Skis must be attached to the pack for the booter. All transitions must be completed in the transition zone (for example, you cannot ski out of the transition until your skins are in your suit).