2021 Bull of the Woods Trail Race
Come Run Taos!
Welcome to the 5th year of Bull of the Woods Trail Race in Taos Ski Valley, New Mexico! In 2021, we are excited to host the half marathon and marathon distances. The trail marathon distance will take you to Kachina Peak 12,481ft, before climbing to the half marathon Fraser Peak 12,168ft! You will span the entire Taos Ski Valley on this course, truly giving you some much deserved trail-cred! The half marathon will follow the previous years, primarily tight single track course on Northside trail system, maximizing your trail fun and big trail views. Keep reading 'Trail Beta' for more detailed course description.
The wellbeing of our guests, staff, and community is of the upmost importance. As we have since the onset of the pandemic, we will continue to use State health protocols as the foundation of our decision making when setting our COVID-Safe Practices. Please see our CSPs below.
Registration is open at https://ultrasignup.com/register.aspx?eid=6490.
If you selected to roll your 2020 registration to 2021 please log into your UltraSignup account to re-register using your credit.
Bull of the Woods Trail Race is a half marathon and full marathon distance trail race that is designed to maximize your trail running experience on a primarily single track course through alpine forests, meadows, and overlooks that will bring out your inner joy and keep you smiling all the way home. This is high-country mountain running at its best, starting at about 10,000 ft with ascents to 12,163 ft Fraser Peak (half marathon/marathon course) on the Northside Trails - a private recreational system. Your senses will be on overdrive as you take in views of the Wheeler Peak Wilderness, La-Cal Basin, Lobo Peak, Gold Hill and the Queen herself Wheeler Peak.
For the Kachina Peak Marathon course, a 'sky'-style high-alpine course, you will start on the incredible Taos Ski Valley Ski Resort to climb, at times 'hands on knees' to the spectacular 12,481ft Kachina Peak! Here, take a minute to gaze the entire Wheeler Peak Wilderness "Cirque" encompassing 7 peaks over 12,000+ ft. Your fun will be maxed out with over 7,000ft of climbing - and what goes up, must come down! Start your rowdy ridge descent down Highline and West Basin Ridges, made popular during the winter season. You will then refuel at the base and cross over to the jaw-dropping scenery and pristine single track of Northside Trails System. Here, make your way to Fraser Peak 12,163ft and gaze across the valley to where you once were - Kachina Peak! From here, it's all fast descending, winding, secluded single track and maximum fun to the finish. At the finish, you'll have the satisfaction of having enjoyed the best trails and views of Northern New Mexico!
Thank you so much for registering for Bull of the Woods Trail Races 2021 in Taos Ski Valley, NM! We are expecting a full crowd here on race day, nice weather, and a whole lot of positive trail energy as you set forth on the beautiful, high altitude, big view singletrack course on the Northside trail system and incredible high alpine first loop for Trail Marathoners on the famous Taos Ski Valley Resort!
As you prepare for your awesome day, please take note of the IMPORTANT ITEMS below:
****IMPORTANT ITEMS FOR 2021 RACE (HALF MARATHON, MARATHON)****
1. COVID-Safe Practices:
- You are required to show your COVID-19 vaccination card or a negative COVID-19 test result at packet pickup.
- You must be full vaccinated, 2 weeks post 2nd Pfizer or Moderna shot or 2 weeks post 1-shot J&J shot.
- If you are not fully vaccinated or you do not have a copy of your vaccination card you must provide a neg COVID-19 test result that was taken within 2-days of check-in.
- Masks are required at packet pickup.
- Masks are required when checking in on race day.
- Masks are required at the start line.
- Masks are required in all indoor locations at Taos Ski Valley.
- Masks are required while in close proximity of others.
- Masks are required when interacting with volunteers at aid stations.
- We will not have live music after the race.
- We will not have vendor tents out in the start/finish area.
- Awards will be announced virtually and prizes mailed to winners.
- Aid Stations will have limit food and drink options this year.
- Water, Tailwind, and some snacks (Taos Bakes, Gu, fruit, candy and some stations will have chips and soda). Please make sure you are prepared if you need/want more.
- Full marathoners will have an area for drop bags, this will be at the start/finish area where you will loop through after the TSVI section of the race.
- If you are sick do not come and race.
- If you are not fully vaccinated and have been in contact with a COVID positive person in the last 10 days do not come to the race.
- You will be asked to physically distance at the starting line.
2. Packet Pickup: Friday, September 10th from 4pm – 7pm: Packet pick at Taos Ski Valley in the Lower Plaza on Sutton Place (https://goo.gl/maps/dUf8ugNB37bQbcZa6).
- Please try your best to check in on Friday. If you absolutely cannot make it Friday, you can pick up your packet on race day, Saturday 11th, plan to show 1 hour before marathon and 1.5-2 hours before half marathon (a lot of entrants) race start to not rush and allow us to start the races on-time. There will be area for drop-bags at start/finish.
3. Start and Finish: The start and finish in the 2021 race will be in the main base area of Taos Ski Valley.
4. Race Day Check-In: When you arrive at the start, you must check-in that you will be on course. This applies even if you already have your bib from Friday packet pickup.
5. Race Start Times: The marathon start is 7am. The half marathon starts at 9am. If the weather forecast becomes an issue, we may adjust these but that will be determined closer to race day.
It takes about 30-40 minutes from center of town to arrive at the parking TSV*.
6. Race Brief: Before the start of each race we will have a quick safety / course brief so please make sure you are there and paying attention.
7. We are cupless in 2021, please bring your own bottle, pack, or vessel for aid stations and afterward!
8. Weather: Weather is unpredictable and cooler. Forecast for race day will be in the 40's at start and 50's at finish. Please be prepared with at minimum a windbreaker jacket and extra layer to have at the race venue for during the race and/or after you are finished. We will have a drop area there to leave your bag, please label it.
9. Marathon Cutoff: If you are registered for the marathon, there is a 5-hour cutoff at Pioneer (Mile 11). Please do not underestimate this cutoff time.
10. All Racer Cutoff: Half marathon and marathon there is a cutoff time of 4pm at HIGH-T (AS-F) Aid station (Mile 10 for half mar, Mile 21 for marathon).