GET YOUR KIDS skiing & riding!
Children enrolling in Snowsports Lessons must be able to use the restroom independently without the use of pull-ups or diapers.
Prices listed are for lessons booked within 72 hours of your arrival. Book more than 72 hours prior to your visit to receive a discounted rate.
Rates are subject to change during busier times of the season such as holidays.
Here at Taos Ski Valley, we aspire to share the mystique of our mountain with guests of all ages. While you enjoy your day skiing and riding the best slopes we have to offer, let us take your children on an adventure all their own.
- Ages 3 - 13
- Full-day lesson
- Price Includes:
- Lift ticket
- Rental Equipment
- Lunch and Snacks
- Ages 3 - 13
- 9:30AM - 12:00PM
- Half-day program
- Price includes:
- Full-day lift ticket
- AM coaching
- Full-day rental equipment
- Morning snack
- ARRIVE EARLY! It's recommended that you arrive no later than 8:15AM to check in at the Rio Hondo Learning Center, get rentals, and be geared up by the lesson start time.
- If your child is not on snow, booted up, and ready to ski/ride within 15 minutes of the designated start time, we will have to reschedule your child's lesson.
- At least one parent/guardian must be onsite for the duration of your child's lesson in case of emergency.
- Lesson packages include coaching, a lift ticket, rental gear including boots, a helmet, skis or a snowboard, and lunch or a morning snack.
- All children participating in lessons need to bring their own goggles or sunglasses, waterproof gloves/mittens, waterproof pants, a waterproof jacket, and tall non-cotton socks.
- Children enrolling in Snowsports Lessons must be able to use the restroom independently without the use of pull-ups or diapers.
- Class Programs are available to book until April 2nd. Only Private Programs will be available April 3 - 9, 2023.
Saturdays: $625, Sundays: $550
First-day check-in will be located outside the Rio Hondo Learning Center. Week 2-5, meet on-snow with gear at the bottom of Rueggli at the assigned meeting area. Shredders will skip Martin Luther King Weekend this season.
Saturdays 1/7, 1/21, 1/28, 2/4, and 2/11
Sundays 1/8, 1/22, 1/29, 2/5, and 2/12
From just learning to walk in ski boots to piste chutes and hike-to-terrain, our Shredders program will do just that; turn your favorite little skier or rider into a Shredder. This program emphasizes the continued growth of local skiers and riders as they develop their skills and form lifelong friendships under the instruction of our expert coaches. Offering a 5-day session, pick your day Saturdays or Sundays, and let the fun begin!
- All Abilities
- Ages 3 - 13
- 9:00am - 3:00pm
- Price includes:
- Lift Ticket
Discounts are available with Taos Youth Season Pass.
While gratuity is not required, it is appropriate and shows your appreciation for your instructor and makes them feel great! Typically, people give their instructor a 15-20% gratuity based on the cost of their lesson.
do I need to make reservations for my child?
We highly recommend making reservations to ensure a spot for your child.
what do I need to provide for my child?
New Mexico's weather can change very quickly. It is important to be prepared for a variety of weather conditions and temperatures.
All children participating in lessons need to bring their own goggles or sunglasses, waterproof gloves/mittens, waterproof pants, a waterproof jacket, and tall non-cotton socks.
is my child required to wear a helmet?
We highly encourage all snowsports participants to wear a helmet when participating in snowsports. For more information, visit Lids on Kids.
where do children's group lessons meet?
All children's snowsports lessons start and end at the Rio Hondo Learning Center
What time is drop off & pickup?
- Lessons start at 9:30 am. Please plan to arrive one hour before your child's lesson to ensure ample time for equipment rentals, a bathroom break, hydration, and class placements.
- Please arrive earlier during peak periods - Christmas, MLK Weekend, President's Day Weekend, and Spring Break
- Lessons end at 3:30 pm. Pick-up will be on the snow outside the Rio Hondo Learning Center.
how are children's lessons grouped?
Lessons are grouped by age and ability.
how can I prepare my child for their lesson?
- Ensure your child has a hardy breakfast and drinks plenty of water.
- Tell your child how much fun skiing/snowboarding can be and how much fun they will have making new friends.
- Show them videos of skiing/snowboarding so they know what to expect. Preparing your child for the first time will help alleviate some of the anxiety they may experience when arriving at ski school.
- Skiing and snowboarding exert a lot of energy, and many of our guests traveling from below 8,000 feet tend to suffer from altitude sickness. To ensure your family acclimates properly, we recommend getting plenty of rest, drinking plenty of water, and increasing your carbohydrate intake before hitting the slopes.
how can I prepare my child to ride the chairlift?
- Talk to your child about the importance of chairlift safety.
- Remind them to listen to their instructor; sit seat to seat and back-to-back.
- Watch this video with your child: https://youtu.be/OeZOMx33r7c
Will my first-timer ride the chairlift by the end of their first lesson?
Learning to ski and snowboard takes time, so we group children based on proven skills and age, not terrain. Our professional instructors will help your child safely learn while building skills and confidence; however, riding the chairlift on day one is highly unlikely.
what happens if the ski school needs to contact me while my child is in lessons?
Your contact information will be required at the time of booking. Please provide a cell phone number to ensure we can contact you. Our ski school staff will call and send a text message to the phone number on file if the need arises.
can I leave the resort and explore the town while my child is in lessons?
Only if another parent/guardian is onsite at the resort for the duration of the lesson. While we encourage all of our guests to explore the town, we do require someone from your party to be on the property at all times in case of an emergency.
my child has food allergies. will they be accommodated? can I pack a lunch for my child?
- Yes. Our kitchen will accommodate all food allergies and dietary needs. Please ask our staff to make a special note for your child's instructor as a reminder.
- If your child is old enough, remind them to speak up about their dietary needs and food allergies to ensure their safety.
- Children are welcome to bring nut-free lunches and snacks to ski school.
if my child refuses to participate or needs a nap, can they go to childcare?
- No. If your child has a difficult time transitioning to lessons, our dedicated team members will encourage your child to participate and may contact you as well for extra motivation. Once all efforts have been made, we will contact you to pick up your child.
- If your child needs a break, our staff will accommodate and ensure your child returns to lessons. However, if your child requires a nap, our staff will contact you for pickup.
- Please note: our childcare program has a limited capacity and is not an alternative option when a child refuses to participate in lessons.
my child will be three years old next month and is still in pull-ups. can they participate in lessons?
No. We require all children enrolling in lessons to be at a minimum of 3 years old and able to independently use the restroom without the use of pull-ups or diapers. Children 3 years old and not yet able to independently use the restroom are welcome to attend our childcare program.
can I watch my child's lesson?
Yes, discreetly. We understand parents want to see their child progress and of course, take pictures, but please stay out of sight to ensure your child can focus on learning and listening to their instructor.
- If your child is a beginner, we recommend riding the Gondolita to view lessons from above.
can I request an instructor for my child's group lesson?
While we do consider all requests, we cannot accommodate requested instructors for group lessons. If you have a specific instructor in mind, we recommend purchasing a private lesson for your child.
Can my child ski/snowboard with their friends?
We cannot guarantee it; however, we will accommodate where possible. If your child and their friends have similar experiences and are in the same learning range, it may be accommodated.
what is the cancellation policy?
We have a 14-day cancellation policy.
we were late and missed the lesson. What do we do?
Please talk to a staff member in the Snowsports Office to reschedule the lesson.